in Kuala Lumpur
To create awareness in Malaysia of the Parliament of World Religions in Melbourne, a group of Malaysians from different faiths – Buddhism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism – hosted a Pre-Parliament get-together in Kuala Lumpur on 24, October 2009.
The event was open to participants of religious and spiritual organisations, related non-government organisations and interested individuals of all faiths.
While its primary aim was to encourage people to attend the PWR in December, it was also meant to celebrate the common religious and spiritual goals of all our faiths, which include peace, love, compassion, honesty and forgiveness.
The agenda for the event encompassed the following:
- A personal sharing of her experience in attending the centenary celebration of PWR in Chicago in 1993 by Daya Bhagwandas.
- A 10-minute video clip from the ‘The Imam and the Pastor’ which highlights the story of both individuals in Nigeria to transform personal hatred and conflict to healing, reconciliation and bridge building.
- A talk on ‘Spiritual traditions and caring for the planet: The need to reduce our ecological footprint’ by Nithi Nesadurai
- Open space – an opportunity for sharing by the participants
- Vote of thanks
- Mrs. Nasreen Ma - Muslim
- Ms. Yen Lee - Buddhist
- Mr. Brian Lariche - Christian
- Mr. Nithi Nesadurai - Hindu
- Mrs. Daya Bhagwandas - Vedanta