Tuesday 8 December
7.30 pm – 9.00 pm
‘Melbourne – River City – Place of Gathering’
A stunning celebration of the rich cultural and spiritual diversity of the great city of Melbourne through music, dance, the visual arts, storytelling and blessings.
Across the world, water and rivers have played a central role in the practices and beliefs of spiritual and religious communities. The Melbourne Parliament is taking place on the banks of the Yarra River, the traditional home of many Aboriginal people, and the new home of successive waves of migrants and refugees.
The Melbourne Plenary will take us on an inspirational spiritual journey to the Yarra as we explore the experiences and interaction of different communities through sight and sound, with a particular focus on the power of water.
Local performers, storytellers and speakers will include:
- Yorta Yorta Elder Aunty Walda Blow
- Aunty Joy Wandin Murphy
- The Melbourne Singers of Gospel
- Melbourne Muslim Hip-Hop group - The Brothahood
- Dandenong Sudanese Choir
- Bharata Kalanjali Dance School
- Sergei Golovko
- Ethiopian Orthodox Choir
- Jewish community members Debbie Masel and Arnold Zable
- Melbourne artist Anthony Breslin will paint an artwork on stage during the Plenary.