Parliament Calls to Stand with Faiths Rising Against Hate
Hate has a history. And it extends into the present.
Hate has a religious history. And that religious history also extends into the present.
But hate has its challengers, too, both secular and sacred, both civic and religious, in the past and the present.
Recent and current political campaigns and political reigns have stoked the embers of hate, but some political leaders have also stirred the oracles of reconciliation and harmony.
All religious and spiritual communities, and individuals of faith and spirit, must now decide again, as the old hymn puts it, "which side are you on?"
Silence and inaction is not an option.
Thanks to what is most sacred for the communities of faith that historically have been the victims of hate for taking the lead in showing us all what it means to choose compassion, solidarity, and mutuality.
Thanks to the Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Indigenous, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Pagan and all of our sister communities rising in love for showing us the way, not just with words but even more importantly with actions.
See below some of the reports of those words and actions.
The Parliament of the World's Religions hopes these examples will provoke you to speak your own words and enact your own commitments in this time of heightened hate.
And we at the Parliament ask that you forward to us other examples in your own communities so that we, in turn, can share them with the world. Please send these incidents of love and compassion, justice and peace to [email protected].
We Amplify the Thousands of People Joining Their Prayers, Bodies, Dollars, Words and Actions Across Communities
to Unite Faiths Against Hate
- Muslims Raising Thousands to Support Jewish Communities After Vandalization of Jewish Graves Now Exceeds $80,000 Dollars
- ...While Catholic Archbishop joins Missouri Governor to Host Vigil and Clean-up Efforts
- After Arson of Mosque, Christian and Jewish Communities Helping Muslims By Handing Over Synagogue Keys and Holding Human Chain
- Sikh Activist Valarie Kaur Launches Revolutionary Love Day for All People in Harm's Way
- As People of All Faiths Stand, Pray and Act with Water Protectors at Standing Rock .
- This Priest Helping Syrian Refugees in Greece shares the values of this campaign Teaching Hindus About Solidarity with Muslims and Declaring Publicly "I Am Muslim, Too".
- The rising of love crosses denominational lines, too, as today, Baptist Leaders Launch "Matthew 25" Pledge for Christians to Defend Immigrants and Muslims.
Larry Greenfield & Rob Sellers
Executive Director and Board Chair of the Parliament of the World’s Religions